Job Posting: St. John’s University Seeks Director of Multimedia Services
The St. John’s University Department of Athletics is in immediate need of a Director of Multimedia Services. This contract position is annual and renewable, running May 1 to April 30.
Description of Position:
- Under the supervision of the Senior Associate Athletics Director for Communications – and with the assistance of one part-time executive producer, one additional full-time contract employee, one graduate assistant and a student staff – act as the lead producer and chief engineer for the St. John’s University Television Network (SJU-TV), the Red Storm’s digital-to-digital and digital-to-broadcast live and on-demand video platform.
- Supervise approximately 100 live Athletic Events per year to be delivered to one or more broadcast/digital television networks (e.g. ESPN3, FOX Sports GO, CBS Sports Network) and/or the RedStormSports.com website, including the management of hardware, software, infrastructure and personnel, and oversight of the hiring, training and scheduling of all game-day employee and student positions.
- Coordinate H.D. production for the Red Storm Report television show and provide delivery to SNY-TV (10 episodes annually).
- Manage the workflow for production of approximately 200 on-demand online pieces, including but not limited to videoboard/marketing intros, online season and event previews, press conferences, feature stories, player profiles, highlight packages and coaches’ shows for all sports other than the men’s basketball program.
- Oversee live production for all on-campus in-arena video, including men’s and women’s basketball games, volleyball contests and fencing events, and provide support for other revenue-generating University uses of the videoboard.
- Act as day-to-day liaison with the St. John’s College of Professional Studies Radio, Television and Film class student interns, professor and administrative personnel.
- Coordinate video production for upgraded/updated online video guides for each sport.
- Maintain and engineer the SJU-TV H.D. mobile production unit.
- Oversee the coordination of all office-based and event-based video production student staffing, including scheduling and payroll/work-study.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Associate Athletic Directors for Communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism, video production, Radio/TV/Film, communications or related field preferred. Relevant undergraduate experience in the field of professional or collegiate athletic communications required. Three to five years experience with digital video hardware (e.g. NewTek, Ross, Canon, Daktronics), software (e.g. Adobe, Avid), infrastructure and personnel necessary for live and on-demand H.D. sports production, transmission and archiving preferred. Must have an understanding of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Commensurate with experience. Independent contractor, no benefits.
Summary of Services Provided by the St. John’s Athletic Communications Department:
- Generate publicity for St. John’s University, its Athletics Program, 17 varsity athletics teams, and 300-plus student-athletes. Generate St. John’s news and expand the St. John’s Athletics brand by utilizing internal resources and traditional and “new” media outlets. Pitch news stories about teams to local and national media, and arrange interviews for coaches and student-athletes. Administer training for coaches and student-athletes to execute successful interviews. Staff all home events, and travel to road events where possible to ensure best coverage.