NBC Sports Group Rights Deal to Carry Mecum Auctions Through 2024
NBC Sports Group and Mecum Auctions today announced a multi-year partnership extension to continue coverage of Mecum collector car auctions across NBC Sports through 2024. The partnership which began in 2014, will now cover a full decade. The new agreement includes media rights on all platforms in all U.S. territories, as well as the Sky territories in the U.K. and Europe.
NBC and NBCSN will collaborate to feature at least 12 of Mecum’s annual car auctions including the Kissimmee and Monterey Auctions, with approximately 200 hours of premiere coverage. NBC and NBCSN’s coverage of all Mecum car auctions will also be streamed online using NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports App.
“NBC Sports is proud to continue our strong relationship with Mecum Auctions into the next decade, further establishing our significant presence in the world of motorsports,” said Michael Kane, Sr. Director, Original & Sports Programming and Development, NBC Sports. “Mecum captures the passion and attention of auto-enthusiasts everywhere. We look forward to providing significant content of the world’s largest collector car auctions for years to come.”
“As the Mecum brand continues to expand within the world of entertainment, our partnership with NBC Sports has been a significant ingredient to our success formula since 2014,” said Dave Magers, CEO, Mecum Auctions. “Extending our relationship with a new multi-year agreement will not only continue to showcase Mecum Auctions, it will also provide the foundation to innovate together for the future benefit of our viewers. We look forward to continuing a mutually beneficial relationship with NBC Sports.”
Following are the top-five selling cars since the start of the partnership in 2014:
1. 1964 Ford GT40 Prototype GT/104 – $7,000,000 (2014)
2. 2014 Ferrari LaFerrari – $4,700,000 (2016)
3. 1966 Ford GT40 MkI – $4,400,000 (2016)
4. 1933 Duesenberg Model J Convertible Coupe – $3,850,000 (2018)
5. 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda Convertible – $3,500,000 (2014)
NBC Sports presents more than 24 hours of Mecum Auctions coverage this week from its iconic event in Monterey, Calif. – the only daytime auction throughout Monterey Car Week. Coverage from Monterey begins tonight at 7 p.m. ET live on NBCSN with Countdown to the Block, giving viewers a preview of the featured vehicles to cross the block this weekend.
Scott Hoke will host NBCSN’s Mecum Auctions coverage on-site in Monterey this weekend, alongside analysts John Kraman, Stephen Cox, Bill Stephens, and Katie Osborne. NBC Sports motorsports analyst Townsend Bell will join tonight’s Countdown to the Block. Mecum Auctions is led by Dana Mecum, Founder and President of Mecum Auctions for the past 30 years.
Highlights from this weekend’s auction include:
- 1954/59 Ferrari 0432M, a main attraction currently owned by Dana and Patti Mecum;
- 1967 Lincoln Continental Lehmann-Paterson Limousine, the Elvis Presley Family Car;
- 1963 Modena GT Spyder California, Hero Car No. 1 from ‘Ferris Bueller’s Day Off’;
- Pre-War Classics from the Academy of Art University Collection;
- Famous Hot Rods from the Blackie Gejeian Estate Collection;
- Porsches from the DP 935 Collection;
- 1967 G-Force GF01 Oldsmobile Aurora Indy Car, 1997 Indianapolis 500 Winner driven by Arie Luyendyk;
- 1962 Alpha One GTO Coupe, driven by Tom Cruise in the movie ‘Vanilla Sky’;
- 1953 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster, the last 1953 Corvette;
- 2017 Pagani Huayra Roadster, 126 miles, no. 31 of 100 produced;
- 1955 Porsche Tempo Mikafa Sport Camper, unrestored, 1 of 3 produced;
- 1952 Allard J2 Roadster, the car that inspired Carroll Shelby’s Cobra.
Following is this week’s Mecum Auto Auctions: Monterey schedule on NBCSN:
|Wed., Aug 14||Mecum Auto Auctions: Countdown to the Block||7 p.m.||NBCSN|
|Mecum Auto Auctions: Countdown to the Block*||2 a.m.||NBCSN|
|Thur., Aug 15||Mecum Auto Auctions: Monterey*||2 p.m.||NBCSN|
|Mecum Auto Auctions: Monterey*||6 p.m.||NBCSN|
|Mecum Auto Auctions: Monterey*||9 p.m.||NBCSN|
|Fri., Aug 16||Mecum Auto Auctions: Monterey*||2 p.m.||NBCSN|
|Mecum Auto Auctions: Monterey*||10 p.m.||NBCSN|
|Sat., Aug 17||Mecum Auto Auctions: Monterey*||12 a.m.||NBCSN|
|Sun., Aug 18||Mecum Auto Auctions: Monterey*||8 p.m.||NBCSN|
*encore presentation/delayed coverage
#All television coverage is streamed via authentication on NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app
NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app — NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices, tablets, and connected TVs — will provide live streaming coverage of the 2019 Mecum Auctions season via “TV Everywhere,” giving consumers additional value to for their subscription service, and making high quality content available to MVPD customers both in and out of the home and on multiple platforms.
NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app are powered by Playmaker Media and available on the iTunes App Store, Google Play, Windows Store, Roku Channel Store, Apple TV and Amazon Fire.