NBC Sports Links With Chelsea Piers for Virtual Summer Camp
With COVID-19 drastically altering how young athletes will be able to spend their summers, NBC Sports and Chelsea Piers present NBC Sports Camp powered by Chelsea Piers, a free, virtual summer program for 7-to-12-year-old athletes to learn and play a variety of sports from their home turf.
“For over 25 years, kids across the New York area have learned new sports, sharpened their skills and come together at Chelsea Piers camps,” said Tom Bernstein, Co-founder and President of Chelsea Piers. “As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact our lives, our hearts go out to kids deprived of traditional summer athletic activities. Partnering with NBC Sports, we are thrilled to bring cost-free sports programming to young people across the country.”
NBC Sports Camp is a four-week online VOD program starting the week of July 6, offering immersive instruction across more than 10 sports. NBC Sports Camp powered by Chelsea Piers is hosted by Uscreen, a premier video-on-demand technology platform.
“The pandemic has forced us to get creative with how we serve youth sports in America,” said Will McIntosh, EVP, Digital & Sports Consumer Business, NBC Sports Group. “At NBC Sports and SportsEngine, we are committed to providing safe, positive youth sports experiences, and we’ve leveraged our investments in technology to get more kids to play together, while we may still be physically apart. We’re excited to continue that mission, working with Chelsea Piers and Uscreen, on NBC Sports Camp this summer.”
Campers can participate at their own pace and schedule across a variety of sports, including soccer, basketball, gymnastics, baseball, and volleyball. Each class consists of four engaging mini-sessions, totaling one hour. Classes begin with the introduction of a sports theme targeted for young athletes. Campers then get moving with 20 minutes on general fitness, followed by a motivational chalk talk to inspire kids to be their best on and off the field. A second 20-minute session covers beginner-level sports instruction led by Chelsea Piers coaches, including skills, strategies, techniques, challenges, and movement exercises, and closes out with a cool-down.
“We’re thrilled that our NBC Sports Camp counselors from Team NBC Sports and Chelsea Piers will welcome young kids in an engaging, inspiring way starting this July,” said Sam Flood, Executive Producer and President, Production, NBC Sports and NBCSN. “Many of our NBC Sports on-air talent began their careers in broadcasting after their athletic careers, and we look forward to sharing their first-hand experiences and stories on the importance of staying active.”
Hosted by NBC Sports Correspondent Corey Robinson, NBC Sports Camp powered by Chelsea Piers will offer sports and fitness classes taught by expert instructors from Chelsea Piers, along with an in-depth roster of NBC Sports on-air talent, gold medal-winning Olympians, Paralympians, and world champion coaches:
- AJ Mleczko – NHL on NBC Analyst and 1998 Olympic gold medalist
- Allyson Felix – Nine-time Olympic Track & Field medalist
- Ato Boldon – NBC Olympics Track & Field Analyst and four-time Olympic medalist
- Brian Boucher – “Inside the Glass” Analyst, NHL on NBC; 13 seasons as NHL goaltender
- Christian Vande Velde – NBC Cycling Analyst and two-time Olympian (2000, 2008)
- Erinn Smart – 2008 Olympic silver medalist in fencing
- Hunter Woodhall – Two-time Paralympic Track & Field medalist
- Johnny Weir – NBC Olympics Figure Skating Analyst and two-time Olympian (2006, 2010)
- Keeth Smart – Chelsea Piers Executive, 2008 Olympic silver medalist in fencing and former world #1
- Kendall Coyne Schofield – NHL on NBC Analyst and 2018 Olympic gold medalist
- Kyle Martino – Premier League on NBC Analyst and 2002 Major League Soccer Rookie of the Year
- Lex Gillette – Motivational speaker and four-time Paralympic Track & Field medalist
- Mary Carillo – NBC Olympics Correspondent & Tennis Analyst and 1977 French Open mixed-doubles champion
- Nastia Liukin – NBC Olympics Gymnastics Analyst and 2008 Olympic gold medalist
- Robbie Earle – Premier League on NBC Analyst & Co-Host, The 2 Robbies, NBC Sports Radio, and former Jamaica National Team player
- Robbie Mustoe – Premier League on NBC Analyst & Co-Host, The 2 Robbies, NBC Sports Radio, and former professional soccer player
- Rodney Harrison – NBC Football Night in America Analyst, and two-time Super Bowl champion (XXXVIII, XXXIX)
- Rowdy Gaines – NBC Olympics Swimming Analyst and U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame member, three-time Olympic gold medalist, and member of the International Swimming Hall of Fame
- Ryan Boyle – Premier Lacrosse League Analyst and 4-time NCAA men’s lacrosse All-American
- Tanith White – NBC Olympics Figure Skating Commentator and 2006 Olympic silver medalist
- Tony Azevedo – 2008 Olympic silver medalist and five-time Olympian in water polo
- Tony Dungy – NBC Football Night in America Analyst, two-time Super Bowl champion (XIII, XLI), and Hall of Fame head coach
Serving as Host of NBC Sports Camp powered by Chelsea Piers, Robinson played for the Fighting Irish football team from 2013-2015. He was elected Notre Dame student body president for the 2016-17 academic year, becoming the first-ever Notre Dame football player to serve in that position.