NAB 2022: Audio-Technica Displays BP2, BP28L Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphones
Audio-Technica (booth C5826), a leading innovator in transducer technology for over 50 years, is displaying its BP28 14-inch (355.6 mm) and BP28L 22.4-inch (569 mm) Line + Gradient Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphones.
These microphones combine a large-diaphragm condenser element with a 28 mm diameter shotgun design for exceptional low-noise performance. With extremely tight polar patterns and a patented acoustic port design that maintains directionality across the entire frequency range, these shotgun microphones are specially designed to meet the needs of broadcast, film, television, outdoor recording and theater applications.
Particularly suitable for long-distance miking for audio acquisition for film or professional broadcast, the BP28 and BP28L offer a highly directional pickup pattern, with the BP28L’s pattern being exceptionally narrow. They provide a flat frequency response and exceptionally low noise levels (BP28: 8 dB; BP28L: 3 dB) and transformer-coupled outputs that produce a smooth sonic character. Extremely high sensitivity (BP28: -28 dBV; BP28L: -23 dBV), wide dynamic range (135 dB), and high-SPL capability (BP28: 143 dB; BP28L: 138 dB), and they are equipped with a switchable 80 Hz high-pass filter and 10 dB pad. Both. The mics’ rugged housing is made of lightweight, structural-grade aluminum alloy.
BP28 and BP28L Line + Gradient Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone specifications:
- Element: Fixed-charge back plate, permanently polarized condenser
- Polar Pattern: Line + gradient
- Frequency Response: BP28: 20-19,000 Hz; BP28L: 20-20,000 Hz
- Low Frequency Roll Off: 80 Hz, 18 dB/octave
- Pad: -10 dB
- Open Circuit Sensitivity: BP28: -28 dB (39.8 mV) (0 dB=1 V/Pa, 1 kHz); BP28L: -23 dB (70.8 mV) (0 dB=1 V/Pa, 1 kHz)
- Impedance: 250 ohms
- Maximum Input Sound Level: BP28: 143 dB SPL (1 kHz at 1% THD), 153 dB SPL (When pad is on.); BP28L: 138 dB SPL (1 kHz at 1% THD), 148 dB SPL (When pad is on.)
- Noise: BP28: 8 dB SPL (A-weighted); BP28L: 3 dB SPL (A-weighted)
- Dynamic Range: 135 dB (1 kHz at Max SPL)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: BP28: 86 dB (1 kHz at 1 Pa, A-weighted); BP28L: 91 dB (1 kHz at 1 Pa, A-weighted)
- Phantom Power Requirements: 11-52 V DC, 3.4 mA
- Switches: Low cut: on/off; Pad: on/off
- Weight: BP28: 223 g (7.9 oz); BP28L: 313 g (11 oz)
- Dimensions: BP28: 354.9 mm (14.0″) long, 28.0 mm (1.1″) maximum body diameter; BP28L: 567.9 mm (22.4″) long, 28.0 mm (1.1″) maximum body diameter
- Output Connector: Integral 3-pin XLR-M type
- Audio-Technica Case Style: BP28: SG6; BP28L: SG7
- Included Accessories: Windscreen (BP28: AT8170, BP28L: AT8169), holder (AT8470), stand adapter (3/8”-5/8”), carrying case