NAB Perspectives: Teranex’s Poirier Predicts Record-Breaking Show
Three weeks ago, Teranex GM Mike Poirier sat down with his colleagues to predict that 2011 would be a record-breaking year at NAB.
“On the third day of the show, we are about to hit twice the volume that we had all of last year,” he smiles. “It has been a really great show for us.”
Poirier based that prediction not only on the changing broadcast marketplace but also on the changing mix of Teranex’s business. Five years ago, 75% of Teranex’s business came from the U.S.; the remaining 25% was international.
“Today, it’s exactly the opposite,” he says. “Even though North America was seriously hit by the economic blowout, we were able to expand our sales around the world. For instance, China in two years went from 0 to 35% of our business. We’ve expanded our business in parts of the world where we were not formerly present, and our 2D-to-3D technology, as well as our 3D toolkit, is technology that really gives new wind to Teranex.”
In the early days of HD, Teranex did a great deal of business helping broadcasters turn SD images into HD broadcasts. Today, the company is applying that same competency in conversions to 3D imaging.
Teranex’s 2D-to-3D conversion products have gained traction not only at NAB but also IBC and trade shows in China and Japan, and the shows have given Poirier a chance to compare the Teranex technology with what else is available on the market.
“I walked the floor and realized that we had something here,” he says. “It’s improving all the time now. We’re hoping to take this technology and bring it to the next level. I don’t think 3D is going away any time soon.”