NAB 2019 in Review: Ross Video Keynote/Reception Outlines Company's Latest Acquisitions, Products
The Ross Video Keynote and Reception has become a Sunday night pre-NAB fixture in Las Vegas where Ross Video launches new products in advance of the show. There are always surprises and unexpected news; this year’s event was no different as David Ross and other Ross executives took to the stage in front of a standing-room-only crowd of over 1000 customers, partners and press to unveil a raft of new products and two interesting new acquisitions for NAB 2019.
- Two Acquisitions – Ross Video has acquired Portalis, the Utah-based leader in Workstation Integration systems, and Piero, the UK-based provider of sports graphics software.
Acquisition & Production
- Furio SkyDolly – a brand new ceiling-mounted Furio camera motion solution with unprecedented levels of safety, stability and speed. Capable of carrying a full-sized prompter, Furio SkyDolly offers smooth, dynamic camera moves and clears floor space, enabling new creative shots and set designs.
- Voyager – Ross Video’s new graphics render engine for virtual studio/augmented reality applications, based on Epic Games’ Unreal-4 platform brings stunning visuals to virtual and augmented reality environments. Complementing the launch of Voyager is the launch of UX V5 – the latest version of Ross Video’s UX control system for virtual applications, which brings powerful efficient workflow tools such as MOS integration for news environments, operator-created virtual set rundowns and data-driven virtual graphics via Datalinq.
- Mira+ Replay Server – a new Mira hardware unit that offers more video channels 6,8, or 12), increased storage capacity and a refreshed control surface, all at a lower price.
- Tria+ Production Server – a new Tria hardware unit that offers more video channels (4, 8 or 12), increased SSD and HDD media and upgraded 10G ethernet, again at a lower price.
- Carbonite Ultra 4KUHD – an upgrade to the Carbonite Ultra production switcher adds native 4KUHD support, enhancing it to 2 full MEs plus 2 MiniMEs with 18 inputs and 10 outputs in native 12G 4KUHD.
- Graphite V2.2 – an updated version of Ross Video’s all-in-one production switcher, graphics and audio solution that now features enhancements to the Rave audio engine including audio equalization and improved audio input and output configuration.
- Acuity V9 – the latest upgrade to Ross Video’s flagship production switcher includes several ‘quality of life’ improvements to make technical directors more efficient. Ross is also introducing MultiViewers with 4 heads and 4 media stores, as well as Acuity support for lower cost CB1 and CB2 hardware panels.
- XPression V9 – the industry’s fastest-growing graphics platform is updated with a host of new features including enhanced support for 4KUHD, HDR (High Dynamic Range) and Wide Color Gamut (WCG); in addition a new font manager, new video frame selector and a host of other features have been added to V9.
- XPression Maps V3 – the upgraded version of XPression Maps now implements OpenStreetMaps and enables greater customization of fonts, colours and map attributes as well as offering 3D buildings (where available) and State specific highway signs.
- Ross Virtualization Tech Demo – Ross will be demonstration virtualized XPression graphics with SMPTE 2110 IO, in conjunction with VMware and Dell on the Ross Booth as well as Cisco on the Cisco Booth. Ross and VM Ware will also be hosting an ‘Ask the Experts’ session on virtualization technology every day on the booth at 2pm.
- pro-xi – the first product to emerge from the acquisition of Portalis, pro-xi revolutionizes the way control rooms and command & control centers around the world are designed, engineered, and managed. pro-xi® enables control room operators to simultaneously view and actively control up to eight computer systems on one workstation, using one keyboard and one mouse.
- Ultricore BCS & Ultricore IP – a new Broadcast Control System controller that adds more scale, more power and more capabilities to the Ultrix Connectivity suite. Allied to Ultricore BCS is Ultricore IP, an optional license for Ultricore BCS designed to bring enhanced efficiency when using IP signals within the facility. Ultricore has also added configuration wizards, making for faster and easier set up of Ultrix systems.
- Ultritouch – a unique 2 rack-unit touch-screen DashBoard control panel makes its NAB debut. A variety of unique Ultritouch control panels are on display including a unique MultiViewer selector for Ultrix, an operator intervention panel for OverDrive and a stadium controller among others.
- Ultrix 160x, IP & Ultricool – a new upgrade for the Ultrix-FR5 now makes it a 160×160 12G connectivity solution – this is available as an upgrade to existing Ultrix-FR5 customers. Ultricool is a new front-to-back cooling fan system for Ultrix and other products. Ultrix IP Blade, pre-announced a year ago, is now showing on the floor with first customer deliveries along with Ultricore BCS and Ultricore IP planned for the summer.
- Newt & Iggy IP Point of Use Modules – v2.2 Newt software brings bi-directional 3G capability to the Newt SMPTE ST-2110 “throw down” IP gateway. The Iggy AES-67 to MADI converter is now shipping and available. Both solutions connect to DashBoard for easy configuration and control.
Management & Systems
- Inception News V13 – an updated version of Ross Video’s newsroom computer system that includes 30 new features designed to enhance the end-user experience. Inception News now includes Story Linking, allowing a single story to be used in multiple locations within a single rundown or multiple rundowns.
- Inception Social V13 – the latest version of the social media management platform, V13 includes tools to help users manipulate images and videos more easily, changing file formats, frame rates and image sizes, and optimizing them for use on various screen types.
- Streamline News Video Suite – a new end-to-end solution that covers the workflow for managing video assets from edit to playout in a news environment. Streamline News Video Suite comprises 4 Ross products – Streamline Production, Streamline Play, Tria News and EVO storage.
- OverDrive V18 – the industry’s most popular production automation solution now supports the Carbonite Ultra production switcher and includes miniME and MultiScreen canvas support.
- Lightning V6 – an updated version of Ross Video’s Lightning Control System for legislative/live event production, now including an upgraded user interface, more dynamic ‘Picture in Picture’ and improved integration with production switchers.
- PowerPlay – a brand new event control system that allows users centralize device control to a single server and simplify scheduling and playout of graphics, video clips and environmental devices for any live event.
Commenting on the keynote event, Ross points to the importance of creativity and efficiency at NAB 2019. “Yet again Ross Video has brought an amazing array of new products and updates to Las Vegas, all of which tie neatly into our theme of High Impact, High Efficiency production. We know that professionals in this industry have to be more creative and more efficient than ever before, and Ross continues to innovate to help them on both fronts. We’re very proud to be Living Live with such a diverse range of customers and we can’t wait to discuss how our latest products will add even more value to their operations.”