CTV Deploys Masstech’s MassTrans-it for Transcoding Needs
CTV, Canada’s largest private broadcaster has deployed Masstech’s MassTrans-it transcode solution in order to meet its content transformation needs. This is the first installation of MassTrans-it as a standalone transcoding product deployed outside of Masstech’s TOPAZ and INDIGO digital asset management (DAM) solutions.
Integration is based on Masstech’s XML-based XMTI transcode protocol. In order to meet its ongoing programming requirements, CTV will be using MassTrans-it to perform all types of content transformations, many unique to CTV and its specific workflows, including: transcode to Harris LXF MPEG2, HD & SD; transcode to MPEG2 PS; transcode to MXF OP1A XDCAM HD; Low Resolution Proxy creation; video Up/Down Convert (SD/HD); audio down mix.
“Quality of transcodes is paramount for CTV,” says Albert Faust, Senior Director, Media Technology Systems. “As Canada’s largest private broadcaster, we have to keep pace with the state-run broadcasters in terms of content quality; and with HD becoming more prevalent in everyone’s homes today, viewers demand the best. Together with MassTrans-it, we can deliver the best.”
The most recent release of MassTrans-it (Version 1.9.9) includes several new features:
- Faster than real-time single-server HD transcoding speed.
- QuickTime wrapped XDCAM HD and XDCAM EX, and MXF OP1A support for encoding and decoding.
- MXF OP1A support with the following essences: IMX 30/40/50, DV 25/50/100, DNxHD and MPEG2.
- DNxHD 220 support with Avid DHM playback and ingest.
- User-defined resolution for WM9 proxies.
- Automatic Format Detection (AFD) support in Harris LXF files.
- Partial Restore optimizations for QuickTime wrapped files.
“Large broadcasters today are relying on our technology and solutions to deliver their content,” says CEO and President of Masstech Group, Joe French. “Customers see clear advantages to our MassTrans-it solution. By having complete ownership and control of our transcode technology we are able to provide best-in-class support while delivering timely new functionality, making us a trusted partner in helping our customers achieve their goals.”