TC Electronic To Host ‘An Afternoon on Loudness’ at the NAB Show
During the NAB Show, TC Electronic will offer a seminar on loudness management for broadcast audio on Tuesday April 17 in Room S204 at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
The seminar will be divided into four sessions, with a short break between sessions allowing attendees to pick and choose which sessions they attend. Three sessions will feature a presenter speak for 45 minutes; the fourth session will offer a roundtable discussion.
TC HD Development Manager Thomas Lund will highlight the first session, speaking on “Program Delivery in Accordance With ITU-R BS.1770-2.” In the second, Jay Yeary, director of audio and studio engineering at Turner Studios, will provide insight on how Turner Studios have implemented ways and routines to tackle loudness challenges under the CALM Act. And in the third, Florian Camerer, chairman of European Broadcast Union’s P/LOUD Group, will talk about the EBU R128 standard, how it’s being implemented in Europe, and how R128 will affect program delivery. Topics to be covered by each presenter follow:
1-2 p.m., Thomas Lund, Development Manager HD, TC Electronic:
- Program Delivery in Accordance With ITU-R BS.1770-2
- Explanation of Terms Relating to Loudness and True-Peak Level
- Pros and Cons of BS.1770-2 Normalization vs. Dolby Speech Gating
- How To Satisfy the Delivery Requirements of EBU R128 for Programs and Commercials
- Ensuring High-Quality, Low-Workload Broadcast to Apple Mobile Platforms
2-3 p.m., Jay Yeary, Director of Audio and Studio Engineering, Turner Studios:
- Loudness at Turner Studios and Broadcast Engineering
- Understanding Loudness and Understanding CALM
- ATSC A/85, Turner Loudness Challenges and Loudness Plans
- Post, Studio, and Live Production, Broadcast Operations, dialnorm Management, Training and Information, Content-Delivery Specifications
3-4 p.m.. Florian Camerer, Chairman of EBU P/LOUD:
- EBU R128 Explained and Implemented Terminology: LUFS, LKFS, LU, “M”, “S,” and “I” Loudness, LRA, Target Level
- Harmonized Metering, Production, and Distribution Guidelines
- Improve Production and Delivery by Taking Advantage of New Tools
- Implementation Status and Experience, including Pitfalls and Dangers
4-5 p.m.. Roundtable and Refreshments, All Presenters, Q&A:
- The Welcome Revolution: Quality Audio Bouncing Back
- All World, All Genres on the Same Page
- Wishful Thinking?