Redesigned XGames.com Launches, New App Available This Week
ESPN unveiled its newly redesigned XGames.com, an online and mobile Web destination dedicated to the global expansion of the X Games franchise. With the launch, XGames.com also officially replaced ESPN.com/Action as a leading cross-platform destination for action sports and lifestyle content year-round. Additionally, the new X Games mobile app – tied to the browser experience and replacing the previous event-centric version – will be available free to download for iOS and Android devices in the App Store and Google Play this week.
“The X Games global expansion kicks off with Aspen in about a week, and we have a huge opportunity to embrace the new world of X by making fandom borderless through digital platforms,” said Adam Deutsch, Senior Director of Product Development, Global X Games. “Elements like video and photography that are so fundamental to the action sports world cut across cultural and language barriers, and access to content via digital platforms mirrors the speed that fans crave to connect and engage with other fans. With today’s new site and app, we’re supporting the X Games globally by promoting the events, building interest in the athletes and connect fans around the world.”
Driven from navigation paradigms adopted by fans via smartphones and tablets, the new site features 100% viewable impressions that utilize a horizontal user interface with innovative “swipe” functionality, eliminating the need to scroll down for additional content and bringing every exciting piece of multimedia to the forefront of the browsing experience. The new XGames.com will also automatically detect each visitor’s screen resolution to deliver the best possible imagery. Additionally, responsive display elements allow pages, video players and modules to expand and contract reactively as fans interact with the site.
Greater emphasis on experiential features and enhancements engage fans and brands with the X Games through social interactivity and second screen companion features that enhance TV viewing like never before. Additionally, the digital platforms will serve fans with content that resonates strongly with the action sports audience around the world, including video, photography, culture, lifestyle and more. Features include:
- TrickTrack – a GameCast second screen experience that uses cutting-edge technology to capture and graphically display trick data, height and athlete speed in real-time, helping fans understand and appreciate what X Games athletes are capable of.
- HypeMeter – a worldwide applause meter that measures, scores and displays the collective excitement around the X Games at any given moment on a scale of 1-100. Tweets, Facebook shares, search engine queries and fans using the virtual applause functionality on XGames.com and through the X Games app all contribute to overall Hype, as indicated by the constantly updating levels on the HypeMeter. Pins on key moments allow fans to easily jump to key videos, photos, tweets and reaction. One-click access points to social platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest allow for easy sharing amongst friends and other action sports fans.
- Personalized Video – once fans set their preferences, they will automatically be served the newest and most relevant videos of the sports disciplines they care most about. With full rights and access to digital video content, the X Games will deliver highlights to digital platforms within three minutes or less to satisfy fans’ appetites to see the best tricks, near misses and more.
- Next Level – designed to create an immersive video experience that takes X Games fans even deeper into their favorite moments with clips that feature a sidecar module displaying various facts, figures and graphics alongside the video player, putting all the mind-bending action into context.
- X Games “Scene” – encompasses the culture of action sports featuring a roster of personalities and influencers from fashion, film and style. The section will include red carpet interviews, galleries, video gear reviews and more.
- Six Global Events, Six Localized Sites – beginning in April, X Games across digital platforms will localize content to suit the language preferences of every region where a global X Games event is taking place. Text will be translated into French, Portuguese, German, Spanish and Catalan during every event week.
New X Games App
The latest version of the X Games app will include a series of new updates and enhancements that bring fans closer to the action, putting the world’s premier action sports events right at their fingertips. At launch, fans will notice improved performance, a completely revamped user interface and more seamless sharing on social media platforms. And coming soon – similar to the new features on XGames.com – the app will incorporate new Gamecast functionality with TrickTrack and built-in gaming via HypeMeter. The app will be available free to download in the App Store and Google Play this week.
X Games Aspen Across Digital Platforms
With X Games Aspen just about a week away, fans will be able to experience everything the new site and app has to offer during all the action on the mountain that kicks off on Jan. 24. Featured content online and via the mobile Web include:
- Real Snow – voting for the best urban snowboarder’s 60-second video enters its semifinal round today, where viewers can vote through to the final round on Jan. 22 with a Fan Favorite winner announced on Jan. 27
- X Games MUSIC Presents – live concert series featuring artists Bloc Party, Tyler The Creator, Calvin Harris and Major Lazer exclusively on XGames.com
- Sport Science – clips breaking down tricks and disciplines from the Emmy Award-winning TV series
- Road to X – video series touring the scene surrounding Aspen
- 50 Most Influential People in Action Sports Today – as named by the editors of XGames.com
- Athlete Profiles – multimedia feature pieces on X athletes Shaun White, Kelly Clark, Tanner Hall and others
The new X Games app will deliver the best of X for fans on the go.
For Aspen, this will include:
- Video Highlights – the best runs, tricks and clips and the ability to share with friends
- Instant Results – real-time updates on the gold, silver and bronze medal winners
- News – immediate access to breaking news
- Schedules – event calendars for fans on-site, watching from home or on the go
- Real Series Bracket – watch and compare clips from the Real Series video contest
- Bios – profiles on X Games athletes
- X Cast – access to live content and music during the event
- Guest Info – navigate through venue and parking information, details about X Fest and other X Games services
Fans will also be able to access complete live coverage of X Games Aspen wherever they go via WatchESPN online at WatchESPN.com, on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app and through ESPN on Xbox LIVE to Gold members. Additionally, ESPN3 will carry the Men’s Ski SuperPipe Elimination and Women’s Ski SuperPipe Final exclusively on the live multi-screen sports network.