Sony Expands Series of All-in-One Video Journalist Backpacks
Sony has four new models in its Video Journalist Backpack series of all-in-one portable field production kits. The new backpacks offer professionals a choice of Sony’s XDCAM HD 4:2:2 camcorder technology (models PMW-100 or PMW-200), bringing new workflow options to mobile production applications.
Sony’s Video Journalist Backpacks, first introduced in 2011, are now in use at news stations and schools across the country. Designed to give single-person production crews end-to-end HD acquisition and editing capabilities, the original kits included a range of Sony professional and consumer technology: an HD camcorder, an optional laptop, wireless microphone system, tablet for playback or teleprompter use, video editing software, memory cards and more. The new kits still offer the same technology kit, but the addition of the new XDCAM camcorders gives mobile professionals more options for choosing the workflow that best fits their needs.
“These backpacks were designed to give professionals everything they need to make their jobs easier and more effective,” says Pete DiIorio, Senior Marketing Manager, Systems Solutions, for Sony Electronics’ Professional Solutions of America group. “We also wanted them to be able to grow with our users as their needs change. Now, incredible flexibility and high-end recording capabilities like HD4:2:2 are becoming more important to pro shooters at every level of production in terms of workflow and picture quality. These new capabilities take an already comprehensive product and add more useful features to it, resulting in an ever greater user experience.”
The Video Journalist Backpack series supports field production activities for a range of applications and users, from film/video students to ENG/EFP crews to corporate video and houses of worship.
The PMW-100, which is included in both the new VJBK-1TP100 and VJBK-1TVVP100 backpacks, increases performance with high resolution 50 Mbps MPEG HD422 codec. It has the ability to record MXF files on UDF formatted cards or on SxS memory cards that are compatible with the XDCAM EX format.
The PMW-200 camcorder, included in the VJBK-1TP200 and VJBK-1TVVP200 kits, is the successor to Sony’s PMW-EX1/R camcorder. It supports a 50 Mbps MPEG HD422 codec and MXF recording and uses three 1/2-inch Full HD Exmor CMOS sensors (1920×1280).
Like the original Video Journalist Backpacks, all four of the new kits contain a diverse set of support accessories to provide users with the tools they need for recording and producing professional audio and video. Components include:
- Sony’s easy-to-use UWP-V1 full wireless microphone system, with an F112 handheld microphone and MDR7510 professional headphones.
- The latest Xperia tablet PC for teleprompting or clip playback
- Sony Creative Software’s Vegas Pro Software for editing
- Tripod for making smooth pans and tilts, in addition to keeping the camera steady during interview shots.
- Dimmable ‘on camera’ LED video light to match both outdoor and indoor lighting that uses rechargeable batteries.
- Extra memory cards, lens cleaning kits, cables, batteries, and other accessories
- The backpack itself, which is lightweight yet includes a rain cover and work mat
- Live telephone tech support
The new VJBK-1TVVP100 and VJBK-1TVVP200 also includes a VAIO laptop, which can burn DVD’s, prepare content to be uploaded to the web, and work with the provided Vegas Pro Software.
- The new Video Journalist Backpacks are available now, at the following suggested list prices:
- VJBK-1TP100 – $7,779
- VJBK-1TVVP100 (with VAIO laptop computer) – $8,519
- VJBK-1TP200 – $11,619
- VJBK-1TVVP200 (with VAIO laptop computer) – $12,359