ESPN Launches New, Re-Imagined ESPN App With ESPN+
The new ESPN App launches today with a completely re-imagined experience that includes the seamless integration of ESPN+, the first-ever multi-sport, direct-to-consumer premium subscription streaming service from The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International group, in partnership with ESPN.
Already the industry benchmark and number one sports app, the new ESPN App – now combined with ESPN+ – elevates the digital sports experience, giving sports fans the premier, all-in-one digital sports platform with easy access to all of ESPN’s news, scores, analysis, video and audio content. With enhanced design and mobility in mind, the new ESPN app and ESPN+ are available across mobile and connected living room devices — with an optimized experience for each platform.
“This next-generation app is ESPN’s most sophisticated and elegant digital product experience, and a central piece of our next era of innovation,” says James Pitaro, ESPN President and Co-Chair, Disney Media Networks. “No one is in a better position than ESPN to serve sports fans. With this launch, fans will find a re-imagined, easy to use and increasingly personalized experience that puts all of ESPN’s incredible content at their fingertips like never before. With the exciting introduction of ESPN+, they’ll also get more sports content than ever, with direct access to thousands of live games, incredible original programs and an unmatched on-demand library, all at a great price.”
“The launch of ESPN+ marks a new era of innovation for The Walt Disney Company, defined by a direct and personal relationship with our consumers,” Kevin Mayer, Chairman, Direct-to-Consumer and International, The Walt Disney Company says. “This product reflects our new direct-to-consumer strategy focused on combining our incomparable brands and unmatched content with industry-leading technology to give users an unparalleled digital experience. With BAMTECH Media’s state-of-the-art video platform, ESPN+ delivers an incredible experience for fans with a rich slate of content only ESPN can deliver.”
The new ESPN App is now more personal and dynamic than ever – delivering a unique experience to every fan, while also enabling meaningful curation and presentation from ESPN’s unmatched storytellers, journalists and content creators. Its design and technological platform elevates the leading sports app to new levels of quality and gives fans a premier, all-in-one digital access point for everything ESPN offers, including:
- SCORES, NEWS, HIGHLIGHTS, AUDIO: The world’s leading sports scores, news, features and analysis, video highlights and clips, and the leading library of live and on-demand sports audio content;
- “TV EVERYWHERE” VIDEO: Authenticated live and on-demand access for pay TV subscribers to ESPN’s U.S. linear and digital networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, SEC Network, SEC Network+, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Bases Loaded, Longhorn Network, ACC Network Extra);
- ESPN+: Direct-to-consumer subscription streaming access to thousands of additional live sporting events, original content and shows, and on-demand video library.
The app’s new design delivers a rich, easy-to-use interface that enhances personalization and discoverability – presenting content in a myriad of ways to customize it to each individual fan. The powerful technological platform surfaces ESPN content based on favorite teams, sports and leagues as well as ESPN’s award-winning journalism and personality, anytime, anywhere, better than ever.
On mobile devices, the ESPN App has five primary navigation menus:
- HOME: The most personalized and complete content experience that allows each fan to be presented with any type of relevant ESPN content and coverage — scores, news, video clips, live events, features, analysis, graphics, statistics and more. The home feed balances what is important to each individual fan and the most important and compelling content that ESPN knows sports fans need.
- SCORES: Immediate access to all the latest scores that fans follow every day, prioritizing favorite teams and sports right at the top.
- WATCH: A new, completely re-imagined and fully integrated live and on-demand video experience featuring three tiers of video access, all powered by BAMTECH Media’s best-in-class video platform: Video Clips and Highlights – accessible to all users, ESPN offers a library of highlights, clips and short-form sports video – logging hundreds of millions of views every month; “TV Everywhere” Streaming – for pay TV subscribers, live and on-demand access to ESPN’s U.S. linear and digital networks; ESPN+ – for subscribers of the direct-to-consumer streaming service, access to thousands of additional live sporting events, original content and shows, and on-demand video library.
- LISTEN: The leading library of sports audio content, including live ESPN Radio streaming and a lineup of top sports podcasts accessible on demand.
- SPORTS: One-click access to a fan’s favorite teams, leagues and sports and quick navigation to complete coverage of any of the dozens of sports and leagues ESPN covers around the world.
On digital living room devices, the ESPN App delivers a dynamic and comprehensive sports streaming experience, with four primary navigation menus:
- FEATURED: A curation of content stacks aggregating live events, on-demand programming, clips and highlights from across all ESPN networks, platforms and ESPN+ personalized to a fan’s favorite teams and sports as well as ESPN’s editorial picks.
- ESPN+: A dedicated ESPN+ section surfacing the best live, upcoming, on-demand and library content available to subscribers.
- ORIGINALS: Bringing ESPN’s unmatched library of on-demand shows, films, editorial features, long-form storytelling and more to life, allowing fans to discover and binge VOD content anytime, anywhere.
- BROWSE: Discover the entire library of on-demand content available, including featured programming and recommendations.